Research Director Emeritus
Following my thesis in biophysics in 1976 carried out in collaboration between Kings College London and the Pasteur Institute. I moved permanently to France where I worked first as a post-doc at the Pasteur Institute prior to being recruited to Inserm as a researcher scientist in 1983. My interest has always been in human muscle development, muscle stem cells, ageing, physiopathology and therapy. When Vincent Mouly joined my team the activity of the group which we co-directed became more centered on the muscle stem cells and on the impact of the limit in proliferation of these cells on the regenerative capacity of human skeletal muscle in disease and ageing. Our group took part in a successful clinical trial using autologous myoblast transplantation for Oculo-pharyngeal muscular dystrophy and Capucine Trollet has now developed a proof of concept to correct these cells using gene therapy. I have participated to EU networks in the 4th, 5th, 6th FP and coordinated Myoage : ‘Understanding and combating age related muscle weakness” a collaborative network of 19 participants throughout the EU in FP7. I have published 280 articles in international scientific journals.
I co-directed and then directed the Centre for Research in Myology until my retirement in august 2018. I am now Emerit in the group codirected by Vincent Mouly and Capucine Trollet.
Implication dans des sociétés savantes et comité scientifique
- 1996-present member of the Biology in Ageing masters programmes at the Universities of Paris Sorbonnes and Diderot
- 2000-2014 member of the Scientific board of INRA (National Institute of Agricultural Research)
- 2003-2012 member of the scientific board of INSERM (National Institute of Medical Research)
- 2001-present member of the National Commitee against Doping, Ministry of Sport -AFLD
- 2003-2010 member of the Scientific Commitee of the French Muscular Dystrophy association
- 2003 founder member of the French Muscle Society SFM
- 2004 founder member of the European Society of Biogerontologists
- 2010–present general secretary of the scientific council of the AFM French Muscular Dystrophy association
- 2015-2020 panel expert for the MRC UK
- 2019 panel expert for MDUK
- 2019 panel expert for Italian TELETHON
- 2020 Treat NMD alliance executive commitee